Manila, Philippines
News Ticker

Man Survives 3 Days at the Bottom of Atlantic Ocean

A Nigerian man survived for three days at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean after finding an ever-dwindling supply of oxygen in a four-foot pocket of air and sips of Coca-Cola.

Harrison Odjegba Okene, a Nigerian cook begged God for a miracle during those times that he was underwater. He believes his rescue after 72 hours underwater at a depth of 30 meters or 100 feet was a sign of divine deliverance.

He said that as the temperature dropped and the only thing that covered him was his boxer shorts, he continuously recited the Psalm that was sent to him by his wife through a text message, saying: “Oh God, by your name, save me. The Lord sustains my life.” He even read the Bible from Psalm 54 to 92.

Okene was saved when divers started to take action in recovering dead bodies from the Jackson 4 shipwreck.

Based on the statement of Tony Walker, project manager for the Dutch Company DCN Diving, the divers were sent for the purpose to look for dead bodies. However, they were surprised when a hand appeared on the TV Screen which was monitored by Walker in the Rescue boat.

At first, they thought that it was just another corpse but when one of the divers grabbed its hand it did the same thing. The diver was in shock and felt fear by what happened. However, the fear turned to joy when they realized that it was a survivor.

“The diver acknowledged that he had seen the hand and then, when he went to grab the hand, the hand grabbed him!” he said. “It was frightening for everybody,” Walker added.

“For the guy that was trapped because he didn’t know what was happening. It was a shock for the diver while he was down there looking for bodies, and we (in the control room) shot back when the hand grabbed him on the screen.”

He also said Okene was lucky because if he was not rescued during those time, he could not last longer.

“He was incredibly lucky he was in an air pocket but he would have had a limited time (before) … he wouldn’t be able to breath anymore,” he said.

Reports say that the chaos started at around 4:30 am on May 26. Okene was in the toilet when one of the towing oil tankers in Nigeria’s oil-rich Delta water gave a sudden lurch and keeled over.

“I was dazed and everywhere was dark as I was thrown from one end of the small cubicle to another,” Okene said in a report. He tried to find a vent and discovered some tools and a life vest with two flashlights in which he tucked it in his shorts. When he found a cabin on the sunken vessel where he felt he saw his safety, he began to wait.

The video was taken in May and was posted six months ago. However, it became viral this week.

(Photo Credit: the daily catch)

(Photo Credit: the daily catch)

Source1, Source 2, Source3

This article has gone viral and has been viewed 38361 times so far.