Woman paralyzed after MRSA infection from borrowed makeup brush


Photo Credit: Apisteuta

BRISBANE, Australia – You might think twice on borrowing things from someone after reading this news. One young mother ended up paralyzed and unable to walk after she contracted MRSA infection from a makeup brush she borrowed from her friend, as reported by Medical Daily.

Jo Gilchrist, a 27-year-old mother, was paralyzed completely after developing a staphylococcus infection that attacked her spine. Gilchrist believes that the infection was passed to her through the makeup brush she borrowed from someone. Reports said the microbes might have entered her system through a pimple on her face.

According to Medical Daily, about one-third of the population carries a harmless strain of staphylococcus bacteria, which are living on their skin. However, a very small proportion of them, about two percent of the carrier population, carries an antibiotic-resistant version.

Reports said that Gilchrist’s friend previously had a staph infection on her face that had been transferred to Gilchrist through the makeup brush. Unfortunately, Gilchrist’s own immune system wasn’t able to fight the infection off.

After undergoing diagnostic procedures, the particular strain of staph that attacked her spine was Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, commonly known as MRSA.

“The only thing we can put it down to is the makeup brush. My friend did have a staph infection on her face and I was using her brush just before. I had no idea that could even happen, I used to share with my friends all the time,” Gilchrist said.

Photo Credit: Daily Mail
Photo Credit: Daily Mail

The young mother shared that she initially felt a “little ache.” It immediately turned into back and full body pain, in which she described as “worse than childbirth” pain.

“I literally thought I was going to die,” Gilchrist said adding that soon after the pain, the feeling in her legs began to go numb. As she lost sensation on legs, she knew something was terribly wrong.

She was airlifted to the hospital, then doctors began to diagnose what was causing the numbness and paralysis on her legs. Doctors placed her in an induced coma, and then performed an emergency surgery, where they later found out about the MRSA infection.

Unfortunately, the staphylococcus infection has already destroyed Gilchrist’s spine and left her unable to walk, and unable to control her bowel or bladder function.

Despite what happened, Gilchrist remains positive about her life, believing that with the proper attitude to not give up, she will be able to use her legs again.

Presently, Gilchrist is in intensive treatment and therapy, and with the help of physical therapy, the mother has already shown positive development, as she has been able to slowly move her legs and stand.

“I’m fighting this with all I’ve got and I’m starting to learn to walk again. Two weeks ago they said I might be able to walk for an hour or two a day, like grocery shopping, washing up, and hanging the washing out. I’m happy with that. I honestly didn’t even expect that,” she said.

This article has gone viral and has been viewed 48919 times so far. Article originally posted: April 16, 2015, 4:15 am (UTC-0). Last update: April 16, 2015 at 4:18 am (UTC-0).

Facebook Comments