Jellyfish sting kills 11-year-old boy in Quezon Province

Photo Credit: Smart Dad Club

QUEZON PROVINCE, Philippines – A young boy died on Tuesday after a jellyfish stung his neck while swimming near his home in Tagkawayan town in Quezon province.

The victim, identified as 11-year-old Angelo Las Piñas, was reportedly swimming with his relatives and friends near the shore of Barangay Rizal, when suddenly a jellyfish stung the victim, GMA News correspondent Peewee Bacuño reported.

Upon realizing what has happened, the victim’s aunt said the boy was immediately taken to a hospital; 15 minutes after the incident. However, it was too late for Las Piñas, as doctors were unable to save him.

Allan Las Piñas, the victim’s 30-year-old father, works as a fisherman in their locality. He shared that the area where his son was swimming is frequently visited by jellyfish, especially from March to June.

After the tragedy that happened to his family, Allan said he will no longer allow any of his children to swim in that area.

Photo Credit: First Aider
Photo Credit: First Aider

Two years ago, in the same barangay, a 14-year-old teen was reported to have died also after being stung by a jellyfish.

Jellyfish sting had been a fatal incidence for many beach goers, and even a well-known actress had been a  victim of its painful sting.

It was April last year when actress and TV host Anne Curtis-Smith was rushed to the hospital after she was stung by a box jellyfish. The incident happened while the actress was shooting an episode of her show “Dyesebel” in Batangas, Philippine Star reported.

The actress was confined at the St. Luke’s Medical Center at the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig City, where she was put under close monitoring at the hospital, as her “jellyfish rash” had been quite worrisome and her heart rhythm had become irregular.

According to Web MD, once stung by a jellyfish, one should decontaminate the wound and remove the tentacles.

“Rinse the area with vinegar for at least 30 seconds. If vinegar is not available, a solution of baking soda can be used. This will deactivate the stinging cells,” the site advised.

“Next, soak the area in hot water for at least 20 minutes if possible. Cold packs can be used instead if the area can’t be soaked in hot water,” the site added.