- DOT Sec. Teo said Pacquiao offered a lower cost proposal to stage a match in Manila
- He said Pacquiao offered P2.5 billion instead of P3 billion
- Teo said they haven’t finalized it yet but he will talk to Pacquiao soon
Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Wanda Teo spoke to Sen. Manny Pacquiao and the boxing icon offered a lower cost proposal to stage a match in Manila in November.
According to an article published by ABS-CBN News, Teo said during a press conference on Friday, February 3: “Iyong napag-usapan namin is P3 billion, medyo mabigat sabi ko. [I told him that the P3 billion we’ve talked about previously is quite heavy.] And the next time I saw him, he said probably P2.5 (billion).”
He shared that they haven’t made things final yet but he assured that he will be talking to the “Pambansang Kamao” about the fight soon.
As per a Coconuts Manila story, Teo said reportedly told Pacquiao previously that they can raise the P3 billion if the latter’s opponent is a boxer as popular as he is.
“Sabi ko, ‘pag si Floyd Mayweather Jr. siguro ang kalaban niya o si Juan Manuel] Marquez. I was telling him, ”Pag Mayweather o si Marquez, madali ‘yung i-sell, kaya namin ang PHP3 billion,” he said.
[I said maybe if he’s fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Juan Manuel Marquez. I told him, ‘If your opponent is Mayweather or Marquez, it’s easy to sell, we can help raise the PHP3 billion’.]
The last time the boxer-turned-politician fought in the Philippines was when he beat Oscar Larios on points on July 2, 2006 at the Araneta Coliseum.
Pacquiao came out of his short-lived retirement last November.
He fought and won the WBO welterweight belt against Jessie Vargas.
He is set to defend his title against Australian boxer Jeff Horn on April 22.