- Arroyo has been removed as Deputy House Speaker on Wednesday
- Ten other anti-d***h penalty solons were also stripped of their committee chairmanships
- Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez said they will announce the replacements in May
MANILA, Philippines – Former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and 10 other congressmen and congresswomen have been ousted from their respective posts on Wednesday, March 15; days after the Lower House passed the controversial d***h penalty bill in its third and final reading.
Arroyo was one of the solons who voted against the d***h penalty bill. Before her ouster, she was the Deputy Speaker for Central Luzon.
Earlier, Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez warned his colleagues who will oppose the bill that they could be stripped of their positions; mostly committee chairmanships.
During a session on Wednesday, House Majority Leader Rodolfo Fariñas declared these positions vacant in a motion that was not opposed by a single legislator.
Aside from Arroyo, also stripped of their committee chairmanships are:
- Vilma Santos-Recto (Batangas), civil service and professional regulation committee
- Evelina Escudero (Sorsogon), basic education and culture committee
- Jose Christopher Belmonte (Quezon City), land use committee
- Carlos Isagani Zarate (Bayan Muna), natural resources committee
- Sitti Turabin-Hataman (Amin), Muslim affairs committee
- Mariano Michael Velarde Jr. (Buhay), overseas workers affairs committee
- Kaka Bag-ao (Dinagat Islands), people’s participation committee
- Emmi de Jesus (Gabriela), poverty alleviation committee
- Antonio Tinio (ACT Teachers), public information committee
women and gender equality
- Emmeline Aglipay-Villar, Women And Gender Equality
Meanwhile, Alvarez said they will announce the replacements in May when the Lower House resume legislative works.