Duterte creates task force to rehabilitate Marawi City


Image from Presidential Communications Office
  • Malacañang creates the Task Force Bangon Marawi
  • It is an inter-agency body tasked to oversee the rehabilitation of Marawi City
  • P20 billion has been allocated for the reconstruction of the city under seige

President Rodrigo Duterte has created a body that will oversee the rehabilitation and reconstruction of Marawi City once the fighting there ends.

In his Administrative Order 3 dated June 28, Duterte has ordered Department of National Defense Delfin Lorenzana to head the so-called Task Force Bangon Marawi. Department of Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar will serve as its vice chairperson,

Lorenzana, who is also the administrator of martial law in Mindanao, will be the one to assess the needs of the city for the inter-agency body to craft a rehabilitation program.

The Task Force will have sub-committees that will perform functions on provision of housing, health and social services, restoration of business and peace and order.

“Recovery and rehabilitation [will take time] because there are lots of buildings destroyed because of our aerial bombings and also because of the actions of the enemy blowing up buildings as well and burning houses,” ABS-CBN quoted Lorenzana.

Duterte earlier mentioned that the government has earmarked P20 billion for Marawi City’s rehabilitation. Lorenzana said the President has already approved this for the rehabilitation fund.

According to budget secretary Benjamin Diokno, this budget will come from the rehabilitation funds of national agencies involved in this mandate.

But Lorenaza expressed that this may not be enough – something he would raise in the Cabinet meeting on Monday.

Meanwhile, the United States has offered aid to the Philippines in the rehabilitation of Marawi.

Inquirer cited in its story a statement from Lorenzana; saying: “I met with Ambassador Kim last week, and they said: ‘If you need some help, let us discuss…’ So, we’ll still talk about what kind of aid we’ll get.”

The US previously helped the Philippine troops in battling the terrorists.

Duterte, who has since declared an independent foreign policy, has expressed gratitude for the help given by the country’s long-time ally.

This article has been viewed 216 times. Article originally posted: July 3, 2017, 2:35 pm (UTC-0). Last update: July 3, 2017 at 2:35 pm (UTC-0).

Facebook Comments