MANILA, Philippines – Senator Antonio Trillanes IV has opposed Senator Richard Gordon’s plan to reopen the Mamasapano probe amid the criminal charges filed against former President Benigno Aquino III by the Office of the Ombudsman.
Trillanes said Gordon, chairman of the Senate Blue Ribbon committee, should instead focus his investigation on the alleged extra-judicial killings (EJK) following numerous complaints in the committee.
“Mas aatupagin pa ni Sen. Gordon ‘yung nakaraang issue na piniga nang husto ng dating Kongreso pero ‘yung mga libo-libong pinapatay na Pilipino sa kasalukuyan, wala siyang panahon,” Trillanes said in a text message to reporters.
[Sen. Gordon prefers to prioritize a past issue which had been squeezed tight by the previous Congress but the thousands of Filipinos being k****d presently, he doesn’t have the time for it.]
Gordon earlier expressed his willingness to reopen the Mamasapano investigation after the Ombudsman filed usurpation of authority and graft charges against Aquino.
The feisty senator said the charges were obviously ‘watered-down’ and the former president should be slapped with multiple homicide for his role in the botched operation.
In the previous congress, Senator Grace Poe led the investigation which held Aquino responsible for the January 25, 2015 bloodbath that resulted into the d***h of 44 SAF troopers and a number of civilians.
Sought for comment, Poe said it is entirely up to Gordon to revive the investigation.
“The decision to reopen the Mamasapano inquiry is the prerogative of the chairman of the blue ribbon committee,” said Poe in a text message to Inquirer.