US Olympian swimmer Ryan Lochte set to return in the pool after 10-month suspension


Image by Wikimedia Commons

After a 10-month suspension, Olympian swimmer Ryan Lochte will be making his official return to the USA Swimming competition this week at Los Angeles, California.

Lochte was ineligible to compete at the recent US nationals, which kept him from qualifying for the world championships beginning July 23 in Hungary.

His suspension ended June 30.

It can be remembered that Lochte was suspended last summer after he and three other swimmers vandalized a gas station during the Rio Games and then said they had been robbed at gunpoint.

The scandal in Rio overshadowed the final days of the games and the ever-changing versions of events that Lochte provided cost him major sponsors and suspension.

The 32-year-old swimmer will represent the Trojan Swim Club this weekend, Lochte is expected to swim in the 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle and 200m IM events. In the former, Lochte enters as the 8th seeded swimmer in a time of 23.35, while he sits atop the field in the latter events with entry times of 48.16 and 1:54.00, respectively.

Lochte also said in an Instagram post that he’s become a better man after the suspension.

“It’s been a long suspension but it’s over,” he wrote

“I’ve learned and became a better man from it…. now let’s go.”

This article has been viewed 163 times. Article originally posted: July 13, 2017, 4:06 pm (UTC-0). Last update: July 13, 2017 at 4:06 pm (UTC-0).

Facebook Comments