Who would have thought that a small event could be fatal? A middle-aged man suffered a heart attack after being stung by a yellow jumper wasp.
The unnamed patient, believed to be from Blackpool, had a severe allergic reaction to the insect’s venom. The man was diagnosed with Kounis syndrome, or “allergic myocardial infarction,” in which a severe allergic reaction is accompanied by symptoms of chest pain that may progress to a heart attack.
The 45-year-old man was about to enter his van when his left hand was stung by a yellow jacket wasp.
In just minutes, the venom sting effect kicked in. The man felt lightheaded and itching arise throughout his body.
Ten minutes later, his left hand felt sore. Within a few hours, the pain have radiated to the shoulders and back.
Unable to endure the pain, he called for an ambulance. On the way to the hospital, the fateful moment appeared; he suffered a heart attack. Luckily, the paramedic officer revived him.
To repair the man’s blocked artery, doctors inserted a stent. After he went home from the hospital, his allergist recommended that he receive allergy shots containing small doses of the wasp venom that initially triggered his severe allergic reaction.
Prior to this incident, he had some buildup of plaque in his arteries, which also put his heart at risk.