Passengers of a Jet Airways flight were treated to a midflight scare after a mobile phone of one of the people onboard caught fire while travelling from Delhi to Indore in India on Friday, October 20.
According to The Hindustan Times, the flight was carrying around 120 people when a phone that belongs to passenger Arpita Dhall exploded inside her bag which was tucked under her seat.
The device caught fire and the cabin was immediately filled with smoke; sending passengers to panic.
Arpita’s husband, Atul Dhall, narrated he heard a thud from under his wife’s seat and noticed fumes starting to emit from her bag which carries three mobile phones. The couple identified the mobile phone that caught fire as a Samsung J7.
They immediately called the crew for help but the fire extinguisher on board supposedly did not work. The fire was eventually put out after the crew doused the device with water.
Arpita said she is planning to file a complaint against the airline.
“This is a question of safety of passengers in flights. If there is a major fire or blast what will they do when their fire extinguishers don’t work like this,” said Mrs. Dhall.
Jet Airways confirmed the incident in a statement but said it was resolved “as per the guidelines”.
“It was observed on board Jet Airways’ flight 9W 791 Delhi-Indore that smoke was emitting from a guest hand bag. Jet Airways crew immediately took charge of the situation, as also all necessary steps as precautionary measure, and as per the prescribed guidelines,” said an airline spokesperson.
Samsung India, in a separate statement, said they have been in touch with the airline and with the authorities to gather more information.
The device has been confiscated for further investigation.