Young Pinoy boxer dies after collapsing during sparring session


Image from Jeffrey Claro;s Facebook account

MANILA, Philippines – A 20-year-old professional boxer tragically died on Sunday after collapsing during a sparring session in Mandaluyong City two days earlier.

According to Rappler, Jeffrey Claro fell into coma after going down in a sparring session at X-Con Boxing Gym on late afternoon Friday. He died at the Ospital ng Maynila on Sunday, around 11:00 am.

Claro, a native of Coron, Palawan, had a 1-4 (win-loss) record and was among those found by the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) with fake CT scan and was asked to submit a new CT scan with plates.

While his license was not revoked, he was barred from fighting until he was able to comply with the requirements. He was due to fight in the first week of November and was practicing at the gym for the promotion.

Claro’s CT scan from Olivarez General Hospital in Parañaque City submitted earlier with the help of Jen Javellana who had been assisting the boxer, supposedly did not show any abnormalities.

However, a fresh CT scan Mandaluyong Medical Center after the sparring incident showed there was a new and an older cerebral hemorrhage. Javellana said it was still unclear how old exactly was the older bleed.

Meanwhile, GAB Chairman Abraham Kahlil Mitra and boxing patron Naris Singwancha of the Singwancha Foundation of Thailand has extended financial help to the family of the deceased in the amount of P51,300.

“The Games and Amusements Board sends its condolence to the family. Our deepest sympathy,” said Mitra in a statement.

Claro just turned 20 last October 18. After 4 straight losses, he finally earned his first win last May via a unanimous decision against Oscar Lim in Antipolo City.

This article has been viewed 1262 times. Article originally posted: October 22, 2017, 2:35 pm (UTC-0). Last update: October 22, 2017 at 2:35 pm (UTC-0).

Facebook Comments