- Parents of schoolchildren vaccinated with Dengvaxia have expressed worry for their offsprings
- Sanofi said in a statement on November 29 that “those not previously infected by dengue virus, more severe disease could occur following vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection”
- DOH Sec. Francisco Duque III said as of November of this year, 733,713 children received the dengue vaccine.
The parents of thousands of schoolchildren administered with Dengvaxia, the world’s first dengue vaccine manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur, expressed their fear after the drug manufacturer disclosed that the vaccine poses risks to individuals without prior dengue infection.
The mother of two school girls aged 9 and 11 is worried for her daughters who were vaccinated just five days before Sanofi Pasteur’s disclosure.
Razel Segovia Cablao of Malabon City told the Inquirer that her daughters were given the shots during the house-to-house vaccination program in Barangay Potrero.
“My husband and I thought we could have some peace of mind knowing our daughters would be free from sickness and then you find out that they’re actually at a greater risk just because (the DOH) did not vet their vaccines properly,” Cablao said.
Edwin Malasa, whose daughter was administered with Dengvaxia, said his daughter is now in danger of getting a severe disease in the future because his daughter had no prior dengue infection when she got the shots.
Sanofi said in a statement on November 29 that “those not previously infected by dengue virus, more severe disease could occur following vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection.”
The Department of Health announced the suspension of its dengue vaccination program following Sanofi’s disclosure.
DOH Sec. Francisco Duque III said that as of November, 733,713 children have received the dengue vaccine.