Third telco that may break the PLDT, Globe duopoly could be operational next year


Image from World's Top Data Centers
  • The third telco that may compete with PLDT and Globe could be operational in mid-2018
  • President Duterte said he wanted a third telco in the country as soon as possible
  • The President invited the Chinese government to invest in the telecommunications industry in the country

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) said it wanted the third telecommunications company (telco) that could break the dominance of PLDT, Inc. and Globe Telecom, Inc. in the telecommunications industry in the country to be operational middle of next year.

“The third telco must be operational by middle part of 2018,” DICT officer-in-charge Eliseo Rio Jr. said in a text message yesterday, according to Philstar.

Rio said it is also President Rodrigo Duterte’s desire to have a third telco in the country as soon as possible.

Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Martin Andanar had earlier announced that the China Telecommunications Corp., Ltd. was the company selected by the Chinese government to invest in the Philippines upon invitation by President Duterte.

However, before China Telecom could enter the local telecommunications landscape, it should partner with a reputable local company with an existing telecom franchise as foreign companies are not allowed 100 percent ownership of a business. Foreign ownership of firms in the country is limited to only 40 percent.

 

This article has been viewed 658 times. Article originally posted: December 12, 2017, 9:56 am (UTC-0). Last update: December 12, 2017 at 9:56 am (UTC-0).

Facebook Comments