- Jeanette LeBlanc died on October 15; 21 days after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria on a trip to Louisiana
- Jeanette got ill after consuming almost two dozens of oysters with a friend
- Her partner, Vicki Bergquist, is now working to spread awareness of vibriosis; a disease caused by the flesh-eating bacteria vibrio
A Texas woman died after she consumed raw oysters; contracting a dangerous flesh-eating bacteria.
Jeanette LeBlanc, 55, fell ill after consuming the oysters on a crabbing trip with family and friends. Both Jeanette and her friend, Karen Bowers, consumed a portion of nearly two dozen oysters, but only Jeanette began experiencing respiratory problems about a day and a half after the meal. She also developed harsh rashes, so her companions thought she was having an allergic reaction, according to a report by KLFY.
Texas residents Vicki Bergquist and partner Jeanette were visiting family in Louisiana.
“About 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, had a rash on her legs and everything,” Bergquist said.
“An allergic reaction of sorts, that’s what I would call it. That’s what we thought,” Bowers added.
In less than 48 hours, Jeanette’s condition went from bad to worse.
After visiting doctors days later, Jeanette was told she had vibriosis; a disease caused by the flesh-eating bacteria vibrio.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, most people become infected by eating raw or under-cooked shellfish, particularly oysters. Certain Vibrio species can also cause a skin infection when an open wound is exposed to brackish or salt water.
Jeanette battled the disease for 21 days before succumbing to the illness on Oct. 15, 2017.
Now Karen and Jeanette’s partner Vicki are working to keep others from suffering a similar fate.
It’s been nearly three months since Jeanette’s d***h and Vicki said the only thing keeping her going is caring for Jeanette’s parents.