- Francisco Duque asked the parents to have their children vaccinated against measles
- He said that it shouldn’t be something to be taken for granted as measles has a lot of complications
- Health officials said that fear over Dengvaxia issue may affect the willingness of Filipino families from availing the anti-measles program
Health Secretary Francisco Duque appealed to parents on Wednesday to have their children vaccinated against measles amid the disease outbreak in Davao City and Zamboanga City.
“Kinakailangan po ito para maibsan ang outbreak ng measles at hindi po pwedeng baliwalain ang measles. Marami po ang komplikasyon ng measles,” Duque said in a statement after meeting with the European Chamber of Commerce in Makati.
As of February 16, 18 out of 300 persons suspected to have measles, have already died, Davao City confirmed as disclosed in ABS-CBN News.
On the other hand, an outbreak was declared in Zamboanga City on February 13 following 101 reported suspected cases from January 1 to February 1; a 1,343-percent increase in the number of cases compared to the same period last year.
Health officials said that fear over Dengvaxia issue may affect the willingness of Filipino families from availing the anti-measles program.
“Pwede hong malaking kapahamakan ang mangyari sa inyong mga anak dahil lamang sa nawalan kayo ng tiwala sa bakuna ng Department of Health, ay hindi namna po tama,” Duque said pointing out that children could suffer if parents fail to have them vaccinated.
He also admitted at the Senate blue ribbon committee hearing on Dengvaxia, that the dengue vaccine controversy was a “major factor” for the lowered rates of vaccination.
“We have no choice but to bring back to the cover the trust and confidence of our people, the parents, yun pong ating mga magulang, ay manumbalik po ang iyong tiwala sa ating DOH Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI),” he added.