- A ‘monument of change’ made of scrap materials from wrecked, smuggled cars is being eyed by the government
- Aside from being a tourist attraction, the monument will serve as a reminder that aims to prevent smugglers from ‘mocking’ the government’s anti-smuggling campaign
A “monument of change,” composed of scrap metal from the smuggled luxury vehicles that were destroyed at Port Irene, is being eyed to be built by the Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (CEZA) to remind people about the government’s resolve to weed out corruption and smuggling.
Earlier this week, President Rodrigo Duterte witnessed heavy equipments crush 14 luxury vehicles in Cagayan.
Ceza administrator, lawyer Raul Lambino said only the scraps from 100 destroyed cars will be used for the monument and the rest will be donated to cooperatives to help them generate funds.
“I assured the President that all 855 vehicles would be condemned, but we had 14 only for the first batch. The President said, ‘Okay, then take care of the rest,’” Lambino said.
He added that the monument could become a tourist attraction.
CEZA condemned the vehicles following Duterte’s directive to destroy seized cars to prevent smugglers from “making a mockery” of the government’s anti-smuggling campaign.
“The destruction of these smuggled luxury vehicles signifies our strong resolve to restore good governance, preserve our nation’s dignity and safeguard our people’s welfare,” the President said on Wednesday.
Watch this video shared by PTV via Facebook: