- At least 10 local officials in Boracay will be facing charges of negligence
- DILG Asst. Sec. Densing said they will be filing the complaint once the documents and evidence are authenticated
- Auditing of environmental fees will be conducted for alleged irregularities
MANILA, Philippines – The Boracay shutdown ordered by no less than President Rodrigo Duterte himself has taken effect on Thursday, April 26. But trouble had just began for at least 10 local officials who will be facing charges for alleged negligence.
Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Assistant Secretary for plans and programs Epimaco Densing III said these 10 officials, whom he did not identify, will be held responsible for alleged grave neglect of duty which led to the environmental woes the island is currently facing.
Densing said the drafting of the complaint sheet have been completed and they are just authenticating documents and evidence before it can be formally filed before the Office of the Ombudsman.
The unnamed officials will be facing administrative charges, the DILG official revealed.
The complaint stemmed from, among others, the discovery of about 50 sewage pipelines discharging waste water into the sea.
Densing added that auditing of environmental fees is also being conducted following reports of irregularities and corruption.
DILG undersecretary Martin Diño also said earlier that officials of barangays Balabag, Manoc-Manoc and Yapak will be investigated for allegedly allowing businesses to operate without the proper waste and sewage disposal system in place.
If proven guilty, these officials will either be charged or removed from their posts.