• A 4-year-old boy was crushed to d***h when a fireplace fell on him
• The boy was trying to reach for Polo mints on top of the mantelpiece of the fireplace
• The boy died from fatal head injuries
A four-year-old boy was crushed to d***h when the mantelpiece of the fireplace fell on him.
According to The Sun, little Max Rimmer-Chambers was trying to reach for Polo Mints on top of the four-foot high mantelpiece when it came away from the wall and fell on him. He was found by his mother and was rushed to a hospital, but he died afterwards from fatal head injuries.
During a probe into the boy’s tragic d***h, his mother told Manchester Coroners’ Court that on that fateful day, she was speaking with his grandfather Sidney Rimmer in the front garden. She said she did not notice that Max had ran inside his grandfather’s house.
Seconds later, Max’s mother said she and her father heard a loud bang.
“I looked around, and noticed he wasn’t there. I ran straight in. I went into the living room and the fireplace was on the floor. He was inside it,” Max’s mother said.
“There had been some Polo mints on top of the fire place and we presumed that he had tried to get them,” she added.
Max’s mother called 999 and he was rushed to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, where he died hours later.
Max’s grandfather told the court that the fireplace was stuck to the wall but not screwed in.
“We have had it like that for 10 years and never had a problem with it. It was never unsafe to my mind. I was sure that it would not move,” Mr. Rimmer said.
“It was never unsafe to my mind. It was sure that it would not move. I felt it was safe,” he added.
The court found no evidence of neglect and concluded that Max’s d***h was accidental.