Boy Loses Arm Due to ‘Super Yolanda’

Photo Credits: Phil Star
Photo Credits: Phil Star
Photo Credits: Phil Star

MANILA, Philippines – A 14-year-old boy in Cebu Cityhas lost his arm due to a new firecracker named after super-typhoon “Yolanda.”

The incident increased the number of firecracker injury cases the Department of Health (DOH) is monitoring to 140.

Health Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag shared information through his Twitter account, saying that the record stood at 134 as of Friday morning.

Among them, Tayag said, included a case of firecracker ingestion and five involving stray bullets.  He added that 82 cases were caused by piccolo.

Tayag confirmed that a five-year-old boy lost an index finger after using “Camara” or a small dynamite in Iloilo province.

Tayag said, though, that the number of firecracker injuries is still lower than the 146 recorded in the same period last year.

Last Thursday, Health Secretary Enrique Ona said some of the victims were passive users or those that did not actually use firecrackers.

“Many of them are just watching those using fireworks, but still they got injured,” he said in a report.

The health official also warned the public that accidents are likely to occur during the New Year celebrations.

“Many people are still suffering from the calamities that hit our country so don’t add (to that),” Ona  said.

Tayag’s tweets were quoted below:

Doc Eric Tayag @erictayagSays
“2013 total FW related injuries 140: FW injuries 134 FW ingestion 1, Stray bullet 5; 2012 total 146: FW 143 FW ingestion 1 Stray bullet 2.”

Doc Eric Tayag @erictayagSays
“Amputations due to FW injuries: 1) 14 yo, male, cebu city, lost right hand fr super yolanda; 2) 5 yo, male, iloilo, lost index finger R hand.”

Source

Loading…