Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Downs 15 Teachers In Samar

(Photo Credit: newsinfo.inquirer.net)

CATBALOGAN CITY, Samar – Fifteen public school teachers including one school official will spend their Holy week at the hospital after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in Catbalogan City, Samar on Wednesday.

According to reports, the victims were having a seminar at the second floor of the two-story building of the City Schools Division Office when they inhaled the poisonous chemical from a generator set installed at the door of the room where the seminar was being held.

Eliot Lopez, Catbalogan City’s disaster risk reduction management officer revealed the teachers suffered chest pains, physical malaise and difficulty in breathing due to the incident. Some of them also collapsed, according to Lopez.

The school officials used the generator due to the brownout in the area which started around six in the morning that day. The smoke reportedly went inside the room and imade them ill.

(Photo Credit: newsinfo.inquirer.net)
(Photo Credit: newsinfo.inquirer.net)

Lopez said the teachers were immediately brought to the hospital after the incident.

One of the victims is Edith de Veyra, the local superintendent of schools. Sources said nine of the teachers are now discharged from the hospital while six others remain confined but already out of danger.

With the incident, the local health official reminded the public to be always vigilant especially in using generator. The use of generator is very common in Visayas and Mindanao due to the massive brownouts in the islands.

The smoke from a generator is deadly since it contains carbon monoxide which is bad for the health. Energy experts said when using generators, make sure the smoke coming from it will go directly to the open air and not inside an enclosed place to avoid health hazards.

The experts said generators are helpful during brownouts but they can also be deadly if not used properly.

Source 1, Source 2

Loading…