Secretary Leila De Lima revealed on Monday, February 16, 2015 that the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has identified the person responsible for uploading the viral video of the wounded member of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) who had been shot at close range during the encounter at Maguindanao.
According to De Lima, the National Bureau of Investigation’s Cybercrime Division is already working on authenticating the video allegedly showing the wounded trooper, identified as PO2 Joseph Sagonoy, who had been shot twice at close range while lying on the cornfield.
The DOJ chief added that it can be used as an evidence in any criminal proceedings, but that it will not be admissible to the court until it has been authenticated
De Lima also stated that part of the continuous search is whether the one who uploaded the video is also the one who took the video.
Previously, De Lima formed a task force composed of NBI agents and prosecutors from the National Prosecution Service to carry out a parallel investigation on the January 25 encounter that took the life of Sagonoy and 43 other PNP-SAF commandos.
The commandos engaged members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters in an encounter that they said had also k****d 18 of their members; though sacked PNP-SAF Director Getulio Napenas said his men were able to k**l at least 250 of the opponents.
Aside from the video recording showing Sagonoy being shot at, it also showed unidentified armed men taking the firearms, ammunition and armor vests of the assassinated commandos lying on the ground while gunfire is continually heard in the background.