In some areas in Spain, Filipinos were advised to stay indoors and have safety measures in the middle of the threat from a toxic orange cloud after the explosion at Igualada chemical plant.
It was reported on February 16, 2015 that there were at least three people who had been injured because of the explosion.
“The Philippine Embassy in Madrid wishes to advise the Filipino community in the neighboring towns of Barcelona, Spain, particularly in the town of Igualada, where a large orange toxic cloud has spread over the area following an explosion that happened at a chemical plant in said place, to stay indoors until the cloud has fully dissipated,” report explained.
Filipinos in the area were warned by the embassy not to put themselves in danger while waiting for the pending announcement from Catalan authorities that the area is already safe to the public.
The embassy added that this means “avoiding unnecessary travels near the area or taking pictures of the orange cloud.”
“(Filipinos) are also strongly advised to use gas masks if they need to go out of their homes and to immediately avail of medical assistance in case of symptoms emanating from inhalation of the toxic chemicals,” it continued.
Cited by the embassy was a statement from the Catalonia regional government stating that the blast in Igualada City occurred during the delivery of the chemical products to a plant owned by the Spanish company named Simar. The chemical products came into contact before it exploded and later set a truck on fire on the 12th day of February 2015.
It also quoted that firefighters explained that the chemicals were nitric acid – which is corrosive and toxic – and ferric chloride.
“Due to the incident, the Catalan authorities instructed people to shut their windows and stay inside their homes as a precaution,” the embassy advised.
The embassy added that the confinement order was partially lifted two hours after the explosion, but emergency services still continued to advise the children, elderly people, pregnant women and those with respiratory problems.