MANILA, Philippines – Even if his boss will do it in secret or at the last-minute, Vice President Jejomar Binay said he will still welcome President Benigno Aquino III’s endorsement with open arms.
“I’m still hoping that up to the last minute, [even] until Election Day, I will still be considered by the President,” Binay said on Wednesday.
Reiterating that Aquino’s support need not be public, Binay recounted how supporters in the 2010 elections then secretly pushed for an Aquino-Binay instead of an Aquino-Roxas tandem.
“There is also support that is kept secret, like “Noy-Bi,” he said, referring to their 2010 ticket.
Binay added he also hoped Aquino would consider seeing him as his natural successor since as the Vice President, he is second only to the Chief Executive.
“Libre Lang Mangarap”
Reacting to Binay’s pining for Aquino’s endorsement, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Mar Roxas said the Vice President has all the right in the world to dream.
“It’s every Filipino’s right to dream. It’s every Filipino’s right to hope,” he said when asked to comment on Binay’s statement.
Roxas is being touted as the Liberal Party’s presumptive standard bearer for the 2016 elections. He lost to Binay in the vice presidential race in 2010.
While Aquino has yet to make an official endorsement, he said Roxas is among his top choices for president last month.
He also promised to make an official announcement in July following his last State of the Nation Address (SONA).
Can Binay Continue Good Governance?
Also commenting on Binay’s announcement, Malacañang Palace said the Vice President has to first pass Aquino’s criteria if he wants a shot at getting the endorsement.
“The President has mentioned that he wants a candidate who will follow the reforms he started with his ‘straight path’ policy. Now the question is, will the candidate follow that standard?” presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda asked.