25 hospitalized after dining at a mall restaurant in Angeles City

Twenty five people were hospitalized after allegedly dining at a newly-opened restaurant in a mall in Angeles City, Pampanga. Authorities are looking into the possibility that food poisoning caused their illness.

The victims, including three employees of Clark International Airport Corporation, reportedly dined at the same restaurant on different dates, from August 1 to August 4, according to a report by CNN Philippines. They were admitted in various hospitals including Angeles University Foundation Medical Center (AUFMC), The Medical City Clark (TMC), Sacred Heart Hospital, Saint Rafael Medical Center, Ospital Ning Angeles, Angeles Medical Center and Makabali Memorial Hospital in San Fernando City.

The Angeles City Health Officer Dr. Lenario Santos said two of the nine victims admitted at the AUFMC lodged formal complaints before the city health office. The complainants said they were hospitalized after eating at Yakimix Smokeless Grill Restaurant in Marquee Mall.

A blogger wrote on his blog site Online Dad that on August 1, he and several relatives including his wife and siblings, dined at Yakimix. He claimed he experienced flu-like symptoms and a severe case of diarrhea the following morning. He said his wife and siblings also suffered diarrhea, although not as severe.

He was brought and admitted to the Makabali Memorial Hospital where his attending physician, a certain Dr. Miranda, diagnosed him as suffering from Enteritis. Enteritis is the inflammation of the small intestine most often caused by eating or drinking things that are contaminated with bacteria or viruses. The germs settle in the small intestine and cause inflammation and swelling, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

The Online Dad blogger said prior to the manifestation of food poisoning symptoms, his last food intake was at the Yakimix. Upon learning that other diners at the restaurant fell victim to food poisoning, he felt the need to warn the public. He believed the cause of the illness is possibly still lurking somewhere in the restaurant. He urged the restaurant management to do something about it.

Meanwhile, Dr. Santos said examinations conducted on victims confined at AUFMC showed amoebiasis, most probably caused by contaminated water, as the cause of their illness.

Angeles City Mayor Edgardo Pamintuan directed the city administrator to conduct an investigation.

The management of Yakimix said in a statement that they are following the safety and sanitation standards set by health authorities. The restaurant management said they will extend necessary assistance to all the victims for their fast recovery.

Loading…