- The Bureau of Customs to hold a public auction of illegally imported rice on Sept. 30
- Expects to generate at least P9.52 million from the auction
- Assorted foodstuff, ladies’ apparel, and paper products also included in the sale
The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has announced that it will be holding a public auction for the P9.52-million worth of smuggled rice confiscated by the agency.
In an article written by Raymund Antonio for the Manila Bulletin, Gerardo Macatangay of the Manila International Container Port (MICP) said that at least 22 container vans of illegally imported rice will be made available during the sale.
“The rice is fit for human consumption,” said Macatangay; who currently heads the MICP’s Auction and Cargo Disposal Division.
The contrabands, which amount to 11,840 sacks of white and glutinous rice from Intercontinental Grains International Trading, Inc., Rainbow Holding, Inc., and Evergreen Cereal, were among the items seized by the BOC last year for being shipped without the necessary permits from the National Food Authority.
According to Elmir dela Cruz, the bureau’s district collector for the MICP, auctions are regularly held in order to help address port congestion. He also added that BOC Commissioner Alberto Lina has also issued a directive to come up with revenue-generating activities in disposing overstaying shipments.
Aside from rice, other items such as assorted foodstuff, ladies’ apparel, and paper products will also be included in the upcoming auction.
Last August, the government has earned almost P320 million in selling confiscated items kept in 779 container vans. To date, the most income generating auction ever recorded by the MICP was held last year; with sales reaching up to P580 million — an amount that is almost 4.5 times above the projected target of only P130 million.