Rookie cops tagged in kidnapping, torture nabbed by MPD

  • Two Rookie cops a******d for kidnapping, torture of a young businessman in Manila
  • Their cohorts, another rookie cop and a police asset, remain at large
  • The suspects demand P40,000 from the victim’s family, but agreed to release him for P6,500

Two rookie cops were a******d in an entrapment operation set up by the Manila Police District (MPD) operatives, while their cohorts, another rookie police officer and a police asset, are at-large.

The two rogue rookie cops, identified as Police Officer 1 (PO1) John Rey Bautista assigned to the Northern Police District Public Safety Battalion and PO1 Ernesto Borleo Jr. who is on AWOL (Absence Without Official Leave) status at the National Capital Region Police Office-Regional Police Holding and Accounting Unit, were tagged in the kidnapping and torture of an eatery operator.

Still at large are PO1 Dexter Jerusalem of Manila Police District Station 1 and the police asset who was not identified.

In an article published by Philippine Daily Inquirer on December 19, 2015, Aie Balagtas See wrote that according to MPD City Hall Detachment Deputy Chief Senior Inspector Rommel Purisima, the victim, identified as 22-year-old Clint Tality along with his relatives, went to his office on Thursday night, December 17, to file a complaint against the suspects.

Sr. Insp. Purisima said Tality was a******d by the three police officers in front of their eatery on December 15 around 1:30 a.m.

The victim, handcuffed and blindfolded, was taken to a house in Caloocan City where they tortured him and demanded P40,000 from his family in exchange for his freedom.

“He was blindfolded but he heard the suspects and that’s how he knew that he was taken to Caloocan. In the investigation, the victim also said he was being forced to use m*******a and s***u. Later, the suspects asked the family of the victim to pay them P40,000 as ransom money,” Purisima said.

“The victim called his relatives so they could negotiate with the suspects. They told the suspects that they don’t have money and could only give P6,500,” Purisima continued.

The suspects agreed to accept the P6,500 the victim’s family offered. On December 16 at around 1 a.m., Tality’ sister Cyril met with the rogue cops and handed them the money. A few hours later, the victim was released. The suspects reportedly took the victim’s cellphone and jewelry and told him he could only take it back once he settled the P33,500 “balance.”

The following day, the cops texted the victim’s family and asked for the remaining ransom money.

“That was when the victim approached us. We conducted an entrapment operation that led to the apprehension of the suspects,” Purisima said.