- A teenage girl in Kazakhstan was rushed to a hospital after suffering from severe stomach pain
- The 11-year-old-girl allegedly cannot eat and drink water due to excruciating abdominal pain
- Surgeons performed a surgery and discovered a huge ball of hair that weighed more than a kilo
An 11-year-old girl was rushed to a hospital in Taraz City, Kazakhstan after suffering from a severe stomach ache and was reportedly unable to eat or even drink a glass of water.
Surgeons carried out an immediate surgery and were allegedly shocked after they discovered a huge ball of hair located in her stomach, an article published by Yahoo News stated.
According to the report, the surgeons pulled the hairball which purportedly weighed more than a kilo from the stomach of the young girl. The hairball allegedly covered some 17 centimeters of the young girl’s stomach and also continued around 35 centimeters into her bowl.
The parents of the young girl said they have spotted their daughter chewing her long hair often, but had been unaware that she was swallowing it when the hair was chewed off.
Based on research, the girl’s condition, known as Rapunzel syndrome, sees ingested hair accumulation in the patient’s stomach which can cause severe stomach problems.
Rapunzel syndrome is an extremely rare intestinal condition in humans resulting from ingesting hair (trichophagia).
The syndrome is named after the long-haired girl Rapunzel in the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. Trichophagia is sometimes associated with the hair-pulling disorder trichotillomania.
In less serious cases, patients can be given medication to induce vomiting.
Patients are usually required to undergo psychiatric evaluation and treatment due to the association with Impulse-control disorders, especially Trichotillomania.
Meanwhile, doctors who checked on the girl’s condition expressed hope that she will be able to eat and drink again after the ‘trichobezoar’ hairball was successfully removed.