Ceiling of a restaurant inside NAIA Terminal 3 collapses, 2 hurt

• A portion of a restaurant’s ceiling inside NAIA Terminal 3 collapses
• Two persons, including an American national, were slightly injured
• MIAA management clarifies the construction of the interiors of commercial spaces inside the airport is the sole responsibility of concessionaires

Two persons were hurt after a portion of a restaurant’s ceiling inside the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 collapsed early Thursday morning, January 28.

Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) spokesman Dave de Castro said the incident took place inside a restaurant at the pre-departure area of the airport.

DZMM Radyo Patrol’s Henry Atuelan said the incident occurred at around 7:30 in the morning inside the Sweet Ideas Café restaurant; a concessionaire at the NAIA Terminal 3.

An American national was slightly injured in the incident and was given immediate medical attention. The injured 30-year-old passenger of Delta Airlines bound for the United States was able to catch his flight on time.

A 20-year-old construction worker named Jellyboy Marcial was also injured in the incident.

An article published by GMA News Online on January 28, 2016 said Marcial slipped while he was putting duct tape to an air conditioner cable and had to cling to the ceiling; causing debris to fall and a portion of the ceiling to collapse.

Another passenger, 59-year-old Lorna De Los Angeles, had her blood pressure checked after she was almost hit by falling debris.

As per initial investigation conducted by MIAA, it was found that the materials used in the construction of the restaurant’s ceiling appeared weak. De Castro said the construction of the interiors of commercial spaces inside the airport is the sole responsibility of the concessionaires.

A thorough investigation is being conducted by the MIAA management, De Castro said; adding that penalties will be imposed should the construction materials used in the restaurant be found substandard.

The restaurant will remain closed until the investigation is complete, the MIAA spokesman said.