- The DFA said there were no reported Filipino casualties in the New York “lone wolf” terrorist attack
- DFA Sec. Alan Peter Cayetano expressed the Philippines’ condolences to the US and its citizens
- Eight people were killed after a lone terrorist ran over cyclists and pedestrians in Lower Manhattan in New York
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said there were no reported Filipino casualties in the truck attack, called by US authorities as “lone wolf” terrorist attack, in New York.
According to a Manila Times story dated November 1, 2017, Filipinos residing in New York were advised by the Philippine Consulate General in New York to stay away from the site of the attack and to exercise caution.
“We are in touch with the New York Police Department and so far, we have not received reports of any Filipino among the dead or injured,” Consul General Maria Theresa Dizon-De Vega said.
DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano expressed the country’s condolences to the U.S. and its citizens after 8 people were killed and at least 12 were others injured in the deadliest terror attack on New York since the September 11, 2001 strikes.
“The Philippines extends its deepest sympathies and is one with the United States Government and the American people in condemning this unspeakable act of terror,” Cayetano said in a statement.
“Our hearts reach out to the families of those who lost their lives in this tragic incident in Manhattan. We also pray for the swift recovery of those who were injured,” Cayetano added.