As authorities investigate reports of thieving from the tragic Grenfell Tower site, a police spokesman just confirmed that ‘A 50-year-old man was arrested on October 12 on suspicion of theft by officers working on the Grenfell Tower fire investigation.’
According to an article by The Sun on Sunday, the informer (police spokesman) said ‘The man was a firefighter from a brigade called in from outside London to help fight the blaze…the suspicion has always been the thief worked in some capacity for the emergency services.’
The informer added that the senior fireman (50-year-old) was arrested a few weeks ago.
The suspect, who remains unidentified, strongly denies any involvement to ‘looting’ and accusations.
However, some inquiries so far indicate that the suspected fireman did not have access to the site during the time the thefts took place.
Meanwhile, angry families described the act as ‘stealing from the graveyard.’
The police believe money was taken from an abandoned flat some time after June 20, which was six days after the blaze.
Labour MP for Kensington, Emma Dent Coad, who described it as “appalling and disrespectful” said at the time: ‘You would imagine that a crime scene would be closely guarded day and night, yet somehow an outsider has been able to get in and commit this appalling and disrespectful crime against survivors of the Grenfell fire.’
Months later, more money was reported to be missing when survivors were allowed back to the building to collect their belongings.