Man in India k****d after getting sucked into MRI machine

Images from India Today/ The Week
  • A man in India was allowed to walk into an MRI room carrying a cylinder
  • He was eventually pulled by the machine’s huge magnetic force
  • The victim was eventually pulled out but died minutes later
  • Authorities have filed charges against staff responsible for the accident

A man in India died in a freak accident inside a hospital in Mumbai on Saturday, January 27, reports the NDTV.

The victim has been identified as 32-year-old Rajesh Maru who was only visiting a relative when he was accidentally sucked into an MRI machine at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital.

Relatives said Maru was attending to an elderly relative who was to undergo an MRI scan at the hospital. He was carrying an oxygen cylinder when he walked into the room where the ward boy allowed him to enter.

The ward boy allegedly told Maru he can carry the cylinder inside and assured the MRI machine was switched off.

“When we told him that metallic things aren’t allowed inside an MRI room, he said ‘sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai‘ (it’s fine, we do it every day). He also said that the machine was switched off. The doctor as well as the technician didn’t say anything,” a relative named Harish Solanki was quoted as saying.

But as soon as Maru was inside, Solanski said it turned out the machine was turned on. The cylinder immediately triggered the machine’s monstrous magnetic field and pulled Maru and the tank “with great force”.

The man’s hand and the cylinder both got stuck in the machine and a massive oxygen leak quickly followed.

The ward boys managed to pull Maru out but he was already bleeding and swollen. The victim was rushed into the emergency room but died 10 minutes later.

Local authorities have charged the ward boys Vitthal Chavan and Sunita Surve for causing d***h by negligence while a doctor named Siddhant Shah had been a******d as the hospital continue to conduct an investigation into the incident.