- 800 OFWS from Kuwait are set to go home
- The OFWs will be repatriated in batches, from February 11 to 13
- President Duterte declared a total ban on deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait
President Rodrigo Duterte declared total ban on sending Filipino workers to Kuwait and ordered the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to help Filipinos working in the Gulf state who want to go home within 72 hours.
A day after the Presidents order, the DFA is scheduled to repatriate 800 Filipino workers from Kuwait. They will be repatriated in batches from February 11 to 13, as per ABS-CBN.
Raul Dado, executive director of the DFA Office of Migrant Workers Affairs, said the 800 is only the first batch. They are processing more, he said.
There are currently 250,000 Filipinos working in Kuwait. Department of labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III clarified that repatriation is voluntary.
President Duterte’s order to halt deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait came after numerous reports of abuse and maltreatment the workers suffered from some employers. As mentioned in InterAksyon, data gathered by support groups for overseas Filipino workers (OFW), showed that at least 120 OFWs died in Kuwait last year alone.
A few days ago, the body of a Filipina domestic helper in Kuwait was found inside a freezer in a house rented by her Lebanese employer and his Syrian wife. The Interpol is now tracking down the couple.