Watch: Flight gets delayed after overhead bin baggage caught fire

Image capture of video via A Fly Guy's Cabin Crew Lounge Facebook account
  • Fire broke out in the overhead luggage of a Chinese domestic flight CZ3539
  • Passengers were delayed for three hours
  • The owner of the bag that caught fire was taken in for questioning

A fire broke out in the cabin of a Chine Southern Airlines plane while it was boarding at Guangzhou airport Sunday.

No injuries were reported but the incident caused a three-hour delay, the airline said in a statement.

China Southern Airlines reportedly said passengers were boarding the jet when someone noticed a bag was in fumes.

According to IB Times, the bag was kept in the overhead bin when it suddenly caught fire. Passengers panicked as smoke and fire came out of the overhead compartment of flight CZ3539. A flight attendant and a passenger tried to put out the flames with a bottled water and a juice container. The incident was caught on camera and the video published on social media went viral.

Currently an investigation is underway, and the passenger to whom the bag belonged was placed under questioning.

The airlines believe that the blaze might have been caused by a power bank that had been stowed in an overhead compartment by the passenger.

Watch the video shared below by CGTN.

 

 

Loading…