Duterte set to declare state of calamity in Boracay

  • President Duterte announced on Tuesday, March 6, that he will issue a state of calamity in Boracay
  • He said that he made his decision based on the recommendation of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG)
  • The president ordered the local government unit of Boracay to cooperate with the national government in the clean-up of the island

President Rodrigo Duterte said that he will declare a state of calamity in Boracay due to the island’s need for rehabilitation. He announced this on a speech during the oath-taking of THE Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission in Malacañang on Tuesday, March 6.

Though the shutting down of operation of businesses in Boracay has been ordered last week, the President still considers taking it to a higher level by raising a state of calamity to the famous island. He said that this is because the problem in Boracay is a public health and public safety issue.

The President also said that he decided based on the recommendation of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), as per a story by ABS-CBN News. “I know it would work. And that is why I will be declaring state of calamity,” Duterte said as quoted.

“And I would caution the courts not to interfere by issuing TRO because you would just exacerbate the situation. And the worst baka hindi kita paniwalaan,” he added.

Duterte also ordered the local government unit of Boracay to fully cooperate with the national government in the rehabilitation and clean-up of the famous tourist destination.

Comments