- A teenage girl died in India after her phone’s battery exploded
- The phone was plugged to an outlet while the victim was making the call
- The family plans to seek compensation from the phone manufacturer
An 18-year-old girl in India reportedly died after her mobile phone exploded while she was talking to a relative. Apparently, the phone was charging when its battery suddenly exploded, seriously injuring the victim, relatives said.
The New Indian Express identified the teenager as Uma Oram from Kheriakani village in Jharsuguda district in Odisha.
The girl was knocked unconscious by the blast, suffering injuries to her hand, leg and chest. She was immediately rushed to the hospital but was declared d**d on arrival.
According to the brother, Durga Prasad Oram, his sister just finished her lunch and wanted to talk to a relative. But since her phone, reportedly a Nokia, was nearly out of juice, she plugged it into an outlet before making the call.
“Its battery exploded suddenly. Before we could know what exactly happened, Uma fell unconscious. She was declared d**d at the hospital,” Metro UK quoted the brother as saying.
The family is reportedly planning to seek compensation from the phone manufacturer since the model was new and only launched in 2017.
However, HMD Global, the company manufacturing the new Nokia models, denied the phone was one of theirs.
“While we have not been able to independently verify the facts of any of these reports, we can confirm that the mobile phone in question was not manufactured or sold by HMD Global, the new home of Nokia phones, set up in 2017 to create a new range of Nokia devices,” said HMD in a statement. “As HMD Global, we are committed to producing high quality handsets which deliver a strong user experience and meet high customer expectations.”
The police has since visited the home of the victim in hopes of gathering more evidence. A case has also been registered while the girl’s body is being subjected to post-mortem examination.