The Philippines’ Worst Road Accidents
MANILA, Philippines – The gruesome accident in the Philippine Skyway in Taguig City Monday involving a Don Mariano Transit passenger bus that killed 22 people and injured several others will probably go down in history as one of the country’s horrible road mishaps, but certainly not the worst.
It is also the second smash-up this year following a similar incident last October 19 in Atimonan, Quezon that cost the lives of 20 passengers and injured 57 more, and involved three buses – BLTB, Superlines, and Isarog Lines and four other trucks.
Also last November 15, a southbound Elena Liner bus plowed into a loading bay along EDSA-Magallanes in Makati City early morning killing six (6) commuters and injuring 33 others.
But arguably the worst road accident in the Philippines, in terms of fatality, was reported by Ocala Star-Banner on January 6, 1967. The Florida, USA-based broadsheet recorded in its news archive a two-bus collision that happened south of Manila killing more than 100 people as both vehicles fell into a 300-meter ravine.
The article headlined ‘More than 115 Die When Buses Hurtle into Manila Ravine’ reported “Two buses loaded with Roman Catholic pilgrims collided today in mountain road and hurtled into a ravine. Officials estimated 115 persons or more were killed.”
COPYRIGHT_KICK: Published on https://kickerdaily.com/the-philippines-worst-road-accidents/ by - on 2022-10-25T15:40:52.076Z
“One bus fell 300 feet down to the bottom of the ravine, but one halted on an outcrop of rock,” the report continued.
The incident reportedly occurred south of Manila while the bus is on its way to a religious feast in Cavite. It said, “The accident occurred 45 miles south of Manila. The convoy was taking the pilgrims to Ternate, in Cavite Province to celebrate the annual feast of Epiphany.”
List Of Some Of The Philippines' Worst Road Accidents
Following is a list of some of the worst road accidents in the Philippines after the 1967 incident, according to Wikipedia:
- July 21, 1985 - A bus overturned after brake failure and ran through a crowded market at Halsema expressway, Atok, Benguet, killing 28 people and injuring 70.
- May 23, 1986 - A bus falls off a cliff and explodes in Antique province, killing 23 people and injuring 15
- January 13, 1991 - A Dapitan-Dipolog regular route bus plunged into a river on the outskirts of Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte, killing 25 people.
- January 21, 1999 - At least 22 were killed when a bus fell into a ravine near the town of Baguio on Wednesday night.
- December 24, 2000 - A Cotobato-Davao regular route bus carrying Christmas travelers plunges 60 feet down into a ravine on the outskirts of Bansalan, Mindanao, killing 30, 12 more are injured.
- July 29, 2008 - According to a Philippine National Police official and an ABS-CBN television report, a packed commuter bus strayed into an oncoming lane, and crashed head-on collide with another bus at Pamplona, Camarines Sur, at least eleven dead and injuring twenty-nine.
- October 27, 2008 - 9 people died and 18 others were injured, when a passenger jeepney with 21 people on board fell into a 300-meter ravine in Dapdap West Tagaytay City, on their way to Tanauan, Batangas to bury a dead relative's remains.
- November 1, 2008 - 7 people were killed and more than 30 passengers injured, in a head-on collision between an overtaking packed passenger Fermina Express bus and a Toyota Revo utility vehicle along the North Luzon Expressway, near Sta. Ines, Mabalacat, Pampanga. Some of the fatalities’ bodies were dismembered in the gruesome tragedy.
- October 18, 2009 - Quezon province double-accident A 4-wheeler truck bumps right side signage. An hour later, a bus carrying 40 students, 7 teachers and 1 parent bumped into the left side tree, a bus from Blessed Hope Christian Academy in Marikina City going to Legazpi City 1 killed (a soldier), 3 injured (2 teachers and 1 student).
- August 18, 2010 - In the Philippines, a fully packed bus plunged off a mountain highway into a 100-foot (30.5 m) ravine killing 41 people.
- October 28, 2012 - At least 7 people died and 42 were injured when a passenger bus hit a concrete fence in Cebu province.
- October 19, 2013 - At least 20 people were killed and another 57 wounded in a collision between 3 buses and 4 trucks in Quezon a province in the Philippines.
- December 16, 2013 - 22 people (police official count is 18) were reportedly killed after a passenger bus fell off an elevated skyway in Taguig City while 16 were injured including the passengers of a closed van where the bus landed below.
- June 6, 1969 - This happened in Baler, Aurora, and had 40 fatalities and 32 injured. A bus plunges into a ravine and bursts into flame while navigating a sharp descending curve on a narrow mountain road.
- February 15, 1972 - A Batangas-Manila Laguna transit bus collided with a truck, and plunged off the road at Barrio Calamba, Laguna, in an incident caused by excessive speed, killing 13 people; another 41 are injured.
- July 4, 1980 - Two passenger buses collided head-on on National Highway Route 1, Camalig, Albay killing 13 people and injuring 28.