A woman in coma after being bitten by cobra while posing for selfie - report.According to a report by The Mirror, a young woman's life is in grave danger as she was bitten by a cobra while taking a selfie with the poisonous snake in the village of Dermontovo in southern Russia.
According to authorities, the man who provided tourists with the chance to take a selfie with a cobra has been arrested and may be charged with manslaughter if the woman he convinced to pose with the snake dies.
The victim, who fell into a coma, was reportedly bitten by the cobra before the photo could be taken. The man's name is Oliver Matveyev and he is 34 years old.
According to police, Matveyev claimed that the recent incident was the first time a patron had been bitten by his snake. He stated that he has been providing the service for several years, initially offering ordinary photos with the snake but later switching to "snake selfies" to keep up with the trend.
Matveyev also mentioned that he has been offering "selfies with a difference" to sunbathing tourists near the banks of the Kuban River, but such an incident had never occurred before.
Matveyev reportedly expressed confusion over the snake's sudden aggressive behavior, stating that it had never bitten anyone before. However, police criticized him for not carrying an antidote to treat snakebites, which could have prevented the incident, and for failing to remove the venom from the snake.
Additionally, Matveyev was unable to provide a license for his pet when he was taken into custody. As of now, the young woman who was bitten and has not been identified remains in a coma.
Matveyev has been warned by authorities that he could face charges of manslaughter, and even murder if the victim dies from the cobra's venom. The trend of taking selfies, or self-portraits using a phone or camera and sharing them on social media, has resulted in a number of fatal incidents in recent days.
On August 9th, a couple on vacation in Portugal tragically fell to their deaths while taking a selfie at the edge of a cliff, while their children looked on in horror. Last week, a 21-year-old Mexican man accidentally shot himself in the head while playing with a gun during a selfie.
While selfies have become a popular way to capture memories and share experiences, it's important to prioritize safety and be mindful of potential risks.